In this article we are going to look at actually only three most popular and handy JS IDEs are Visual Studio Code, Atom and Webstorm
In essence, a code editor or IDE is a text editor with additional features tailored to the specific programming language. For example, all code editors have syntax highlighting for different programming languages: key words and constructions are highlighted in different colors, comments are italicized. This makes it easier to navigate and notice typos and inconsistencies at once. In addition, there is usually auto-formatting in accordance with accepted standards, syntax checking, auto-completion of language keywords, function and variable names.
An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a software application that helps programmers develop JS program code efficiently. It increases developer productivity by combining capabilities such as editing, creating, testing, and packaging software into an easy-to-use application. Just as writers use word processors and accountants use spreadsheets, software developers use IDEs to simplify their work.
What to Pay Attention to When Choosing a IDE for JS
- Support for the operating system (OS) you need. You should pay special attention to this point if you work in a team. It is best to give preference to cross-platform JS IDE solutions.
- Collaborative development capabilities. This again applies to teams that are going to work with a shared repository. The platforms we’ll look at below integrate with Git.
- Supported languages (programming, of course). Keep the long term in mind here – you may someday decide to add features to your project that are implemented in some other language. It’s worth choosing an environment that supports multiple programming languages.
- You can easily test your code using tools like Mocha, Karma test runner, Jest, and more.
- This IDE offers a wide range of plugins and templates.
- Code style, fonts, themes and shortcodes are customizable.
- A built-in terminal is available.
- Integration with VCS (Veritas Cluster Server)
- Parameter hints
- Git integration
- Intelligent code completion
- TODO (programmer’s notes) support
- As with the JetBean product, the user interface is very similar to the famous IntelliJ.
- JS static code scanning from the package is very convenient.
- Auto-correct is also a very productive feature worth mentioning.
- By default it has good integration with Angular, TypeScript, Vue, React
Visual Studio Code
- Syntax highlighting
- Autocomplete with IntelliSense
- Ability to debug code by joining running applications and enabling breakpoints
- Ability to set breakpoints
- A bunch of extensions to support many additional features (e.g., extensions for Docker)
- Integration capabilities with Visual Studio Code Online
- Version control with extensions
- Powerful multilingual IDE
- Good built-in features such as auto highlighting of repeated variables
- Useful for quick modification of scripts
- Better UI, easy plugins and good integration with git
Atom is an open source IDE that gained a lot of popularity even before Visual Studio Code. It is supported by GitHub, which was another reason for its popularity. Atom is an application of Electron.
Atom is similar to VS Code in many ways. It supports Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is free to use and is under the MIT license. It also has automatic code completion, supports multiple projects and multiple section editing etc.
- Has a built-in package manager.
- You can find, view and replace text typed in a file or in the entire project.
- IDE supports command palette to run available commands.
- You can easily find and open a file or project.
- Quickly find and replace text as you type in the file.
- Git integration
- Cross-platform support
- Support for multiple cursors
- Occasionally unstable performance
- Lack of code execution capability
- Slower than some other editors
There is no single JS source code editor or IDE that is a one-size-fits-all solution for everything. Therefore, it would be unfair to call any one IDE the best, as each of them has its own strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, you need to accurately state all your requirements before choosing one of them.
I hope the above list will help you make the right decision. Besides, tell us about your favorite IDEs in t
he comments below.